Men’s Basketball 11/24/2022 1:31:00 PM
The Bobcats’ matchups can also be heard on the Ohio Sports Network from Learfield. WXTQ (Power 105) in Athens returns as the 11-station network’s flagship.
• The Bobcat Battle is a three-team MTE hosted by Ohio at the Convocation Center. The three-game event is run by RPPI.
• Ohio is coming off a 70-66 overtime defeat at No. Michigan Sunday night in Ann Arbor.
• This is the first all-time meeting for the Bobcats with both Alabama State and Eastern Illinois.
• EIU enters the matchup with a 1-4 record, with losses to Ohio State, Central Michigan and Illinois State and a victory over Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
• Alabama State comes to Athens with an 0-6 record and losses to Pitt, USC, San Jose State, Pepperdine and UAB.
• Alabama State is coming off a loss at Duquesne on Wednesday night.
• Dwight Wilson III was a monster Sunday at Michigan, scoring 21 points, grabbing nine rebounds and hitting the game-tying basket at the end of regulation to force overtime.
• Ohio has registered an impressive 542-178 (.756) all-time record at the Convocation Center, which opened in 1968.
• Ohio finished last season 25-10, with its 25 wins the fourth-most in program history.
• Ohio welcomes nine newcomers to the roster for the season, including transfers Jaylin Hunter, DeVon Baker and Gabe Wiznitzer.
• Ohio also adds six freshmen to this year’s roster.
• Ohio returns three members of the 2021 NCAA Tournament team, with Ben Roderick, Miles Brown and Dwight Wilson III back in the Green and White.
• Dwight Wilson III returns to Ohio after missing all of 2021-22 with a knee injury.
• The Bobcats also return three sophomores from last season’s roster, AJ Clayton, Olumide Adelodun and IJ Ezuma.
• Ohio enters the season losing its top three scorers from last season.
• In total, the Bobcats return only three that saw significant playing time last year, while losing 10 to graduation and the transfer portal.
• Ohio spent nine days in Spain in August for its foreign tour. While there, Ohio played three games against a Spain Select team that was comprised of Spanish professional players.
• Ohio was picked to finish fifth in the 2022 MAC Coaches Poll.
SCOUTING EASTERN ILLINOIS
Easter Illinois enters the matchup with Ohio with a 1-4 record, picking up a victory over Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
As a team, EIU is averaging 62.2 points and 37.2 rebounds a game. The Panthers are shooting .354 from the field, .262 from three and .579 from the line. EIU also dishes out 11.0 assists per game, while forcing 20.0 turnovers and grabbing 11.6 steals a game.
Meanwhile, opponents are averaging 64.4 points and 45.4 rebounds a contest. They are shooting .395 from the field, .316 from three and .590 from the line. Opponents also dish out an average of 12.8 assists per game, while grabbing 7.0 steals and forcing 14.2 turnovers a game.
Individually, EIU is led by Kinyon Hodges who averages 12.2 points and 5.2 rebounds a game. He also shoots .424 from the field and .538 from the line. Yaakema Rose adds 9.4 points a game and is shooting .362 from the field, while Cameron Haffner adds 6.3 points a game.
SCOUTING ALABAMA STATE
Michigan enters the matchup with Ohio with n 3-1 record after falling to Duquesne, 75-57 on Wednesday night.
As a team, Alabama State is averaging 59.7 points and 36.5 rebounds a game. Alabama State is shooting .329 from the field, .317 from three and .677 from the line. Alabama State also dishes out 9.8 assists per game, while forcing 12.3 turnovers and grabbing 4.8 steals a game.
Meanwhile, opponents are averaging 86.0 points and 43.3 rebounds a contest. They are shooting .499 from the field, .417 from three and .667 from the line. Opponents also dish out an average of 16.2 assists per game, while grabbing 6.8 steals and forcing 12.8 turnovers a game.
Individually, Alabama State is led by TJ Madlock who averages 14.0 points and 5.3 rebounds a game. He also shoot .364 from the field and .407 from three. Isaiah Range adds 10.0 points a game and is shooting .857 from the line, while Alex Anderson adds 8.2 points and 5.2 rebounds a game.
Ohio enters the matchup with Michigan with a 1-3 record falling to No 20 Michigan, 70-66 in overtime last Sunday in Ann Arbor.
As a team, Ohio is averaging 72.5 points and 37.0 rebounds a game, while opponents average 74.5 points and 35.3 rebounds a game. The Bobcats are also shooting .430 from the field, .354 from three and .784 from the line. Ohio also adds 12.0 assists, 6.0 steals and force 12.5 turnovers a game.
Opponents are shooting .459 from the field, .343 from three and .641 from the line, while dishing out 14.3 assists, 6.3 steals and 12.3 turnovers a game.
Individually, Dwight Wilson III leads Ohio with 13.3 points and 11. 0 rebounds a game. He is shooting .523 from the field and .875 from the line. Miles Brown adds 12.0 points a game while shooting .471 from three. DeVon Baker adds 11.5 points a game, while Jaylin Hunter averages 11.5 points and 4.3 assists a game, while shooting .429 from the field and .409 from three.
ALL TIME VS. EASTERN ILLINOIS
This is the first all-time meeting between Ohio and Eastern Illinois.
LAST TIME VS. ALABAMA STATE
This is the first all-time meeting between Ohio and Alabama State
LAST TIME OUT
With 2.1 seconds remaining and Ohio trailing by two, graduate student forward Dwight Wilson III tied the game at 63-63 as time expired. However, the Ohio men’s basketball team (1-3) was unable to overcome 20th-ranked Michigan (4-1) in overtime Sunday night (Nov 20), falling 70-66, inside the Crisler Center.
As a team, Ohio shot 35 percent from the field, 25 percent from three and were 5-of-11 from the line, while Michigan shot 38 percent from the field, 31 percent from three and were 12-of-20 from the line. Ohio outrebounded Michigan, 49-46 and dished out 14 assists to their 12, Ohio also grabbed six steals and forced 11 turnovers, while Michigan had three steals and forced eight turnovers.
Individually, Ohio was led by Wilson III with 21 points, going 10-of-19 from the field and grabbed nine rebounds, followed by junior guard Jaylin Hunter with 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. Senior Miles Brown added 11 points, nine rebounds and four assists. Senior forward Ben Roderick added six points, while senior guard DeVon Baker scored five points and grabbed five rebounds. Sophomore forward AJ Clayton grabbed seven rebounds.
For Michigan, Hunter Dickinson led with 24 points and 12 rebounds, followed by Jett Howard with 13 points.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
Ohio has registered an impressive 542-178 (.756) all-time record at the Convocation Center, which opened in 1968.
Last season Ohio finished 15-2 in the Convo.
ABOUT BOBCAT BATTLE
The Bobcat Battle is a three-team MTE hosed by Ohio at the Convocation Center. The three-game event is run by RPPI.
RPPI has organized over 850 sports and entertainment events across nearly 40 years of being in business. The history of RPPI dates back to its founder, Russ Potts, serving as the first sports marketing director in the history of college athletics at the University of Maryland. A pioneer in the world of sports, Russ served as the Athletic Director at Southern Methodist University (SMU) followed by a stint as Vice President of the Chicago White Sox before founding Russ Potts Productions, Inc. Russ later served for 16 years in the Senate of Virginia.
Currently RPPI is led by President, Zach Franz and VP of Business Development, Adam Syprzak, and specializes in the organization and promotion of live sports and entertainment events. Additionally, RPPI’s focus expands to consulting in the areas of athletic facility management, corporate sponsorship sales, group travel and various business development roles on behalf of its clients.
A MONSTER NIGHT IN ANN ARBOR
Forward Dwight Wilson III was a monster against No. 20 Michigan on Nov. 20. By the end of the night, Wilson III had a season-high 21 points with nine rebounds, while going 10-of-19 from the field.
So far on the season, DWIII leads Ohio with 13.3points and 11.0 rebounds a game.
TAKING ADVANTAGE OF EXTRA POINTS
Three games into the season and the Bobcats are taking advantage of their free throws.
As of Nov. 24, Ohio ranks 21st in the NCAA in free throw percentage, shooting .784 (40-of-51) from the line.
HUNTER FINDING A GROOVE
In his second game for the Bobcats, junior guard Jaylin Hunter started to find his groove in the Green and White.
Hunter led Ohio against Cleveland State, scoring 17 points, grabbing four rebounds and dishing out seven assists in the victory.
As of Nov. 24, Hunter averages 11.5 points and 4.3 assists a game.
After the Bobcat Battle, Ohio is back in action on Wednesday, Nov. 30 when Ohio host UC-Clermont at 7 p.m. inside the Convo.
Thanks for visiting !
The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy.
We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here.
Thank you for your support!