Men’s Basketball 1/17/2023 11:00:00 AM
The Terps are 8-1 this season with the only loss coming against No. 16 UCLA. Since then, Maryland has won three straight in XFINITY including against No. 24 Ohio State (80-73) on Jan. 8 as part of its two home Big Ten wins this year.
Maryland enters Thursday’s game at No. 52 in the current NCAA NET rankings with three Quad 1 wins (Miami, Illinois, Ohio State) and one Quad 2 win (Saint Louis). A total of 14 games for the Terps are currently Quad 1. The Terps have been as high as No. 6 in the NET and as high as No. 13 in the AP Top 25 Poll.
Series History – Michigan
- Michigan leads the all-time series 13-7 and have won five straight. Maryland is 5-4 in home games against the Wolverines.
- Donta Scott leads all current Terps with a pair of 19-point games against the Wolverines.
Fear the jahmir
- Jahmir Young is one of 14 active players in the NCAA to post 1,600 career points, 500 rebounds, and 300 assists.
- Entering the season, many questioned Jahmir Young’s ability to translate his scoring from C-USA to Power 5 play. Young’s response has been a team-best 15.2 points and 2.8 assists per game. This season, he has a four 20-point games including a season-high 30 against No. 24 Ohio State. In the stretch of Illinois, Wisconsin, and No. 7 Tennessee, he averaged 19.7 points. He is also the third-leading rebounder (4.9) and has the fourth-most blocked shots (9) on the team.
- Young is the nation’s 12th-ranked active career scorer with at 16.5 point per game average and the 41st ranked player in overall points (1,680).
- Young posted his first double-double (7th of his career) as a Terp with 30 points and 11 rebounds against No. 24 Ohio State. He became the first Maryland guard since Greivis Vasquez to post a 30-point, 10-rebound game. Vasquez had a triple-double with 35 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists against North Carolina on Feb. 21, 2009.
- Over the last five games, Don Carey has begun to get his sharp-shooting rhythm back. In that stretch, Carey has hit 12-of-29 (.414) from beyond the arc. If you take out an 0-for-8 effort at Michigan in those four games, Carey’s is converting at .571 in the other four games (UMBC, Rutgers, Ohio State, Iowa).
- Carey tied his career-best total with five triples against UMBC going 5-of-7 to finish with a season-high 19 points.
- He was 4-of-8 at Rutgers and 2-of-2 in the win over No. 24 Ohio State.
Scott Reaches 1,000 Points; Eclipses 500 Boards
- Donta Scott became the 59th player in program history to reach 1,000 points in the win over Miami. He scored 24 points in that game and now has 1,136 career points. He is also the 17th Terp to post 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in a career. Through 111 career games he now has 596 rebounds.
- Darryl Morsell (1,090 points / 510 rebounds / 2018-21) and Anthony Cowan (1,881 points / 508 rebounds / 2017-20) were the most recent Terps to post 1,000/500.
- Scott is now 43rd all-time in scoring and needs four points to move past Steve Blake (1999-03) for 42nd. He needs four more boards to surpass Juan Dixon (1998-02) and Bob Kessler (1953-56) for 28th in career rebounds.
- Scott was one of 20 players named to the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Watch List as announced by the Basketball Hall of Fame in late October.
- This is Scott’s second year on the watch list after also garnering the honor last season. He joins Jalen Smith (2019-20) and Jake Layman (2014-15) as Terps to be recognized.
- Scott ranked as the No. 49 overall player nationally last season.
- When Maryland wins, the Terps are averaging 80.1 points while allowing just 60.9 per game. Maryland is also averaging 17.5 made free throws and hold a +5.4 advantage in rebounds.
- The Terps are holding opponents to just .385 from the field this season in wins.
- Maryland is 10-0 this season when leading at halftime (the Ohio State victory snapped a 14-game losing skid when trailing at the half) and 9-0 when committing fewer turnovers (turnovers were equal against Ohio State). The Terps are also 11-0 this year when leading with 5 minutes remaining in the game (14 straight dating back to last season).
Click here for this week’s game notes.
Thanks for visiting !
The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy.
We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here.
Thank you for your support!